Thursday, March 12, 2009

Just me and Mr. Tumnus

I figured I'd better throw in one more update before I take off, because odds are I won't be able to blog for another week and a half, and I've had a pretty exciting week this week.

Monday, as a group we visited the Cabinet War Rooms/Churchill Museum, which was surprisingly very interesting. I had always vaguely admired Churchill as a great politician and a strong leader, but now, I have to say, I am quite a fan. He was incredibly intelligent, very talented -- he was not only a skilled politician but a painter and a writer, and he had a personality to boot! I loved reading some of the things he's said -- what a wit! Here are just a couple of my favorites:

" A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
" He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
" We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm."
" Those who can win a war well can rarely make a good peace and those who could make a good peace would never have won the war."

I also saw two plays this week -- Agatha Christie's The Mousetrap on Tuesday, during which I got scolded by an old British lady, and 3 Days of Rain, which is the one I REALLY want to brag -- I mean talk about.

I suppose first I should mention that yesterday our day trip was to Hampton Court Palace, where Henry VIII lived, and then Wimbledon, where we got a really cool tour, but honestly I don't have anything particularly interesting to say about either of them. As soon as we got home, Ana and I went straight to the tube to get tickets for 3 Days of Rain, starring James McAvoy (Narnia, Atonement, Penelope, Becoming Jane, etc). We happened to be able to get really great seats, and the night just went up from there.

Having arrived there early and secured tickets, we ventured out to make sure we knew exactly where the stage door was. We found it, and hovered in what we liked to pretend was a casual manner -- who knows, maybe James was going to come out for a smoke or something. Well, he didn't, so we settled for finding our seats and waiting to see him materialize in front of our faces on the stage. He did. And it was magnificent. The play itself, even if it didn't have James, was incredible! Probably my favorite I've seen here after Les Mis. Ana had told me going in to the play she'd read it was a one-act play without intermission, so as soon as the lights went black, we threw on our coats and ran out of the theatre to the stage door. We waited, and strange things happened.

"Ana, they didn't come out for bows. That's weird, I've never seen a play where they didn't come out for bows."
"Yeah, maybe it's just that kind of play."
"Hmm.. yeah and it was only an hour long. That's pretty short."
"Yeah, but it's over."
"Are you sure? We are the only ones out here..."

Somehow we managed to dismiss all of those concerns and stand there, jittery and nervous, planning how we could casually ask James out to dessert with us and make him fall in love. After about 15 minutes of waiting, the door opened. And out he came... The fat security guard. Out for a smoke. After several awkward minutes of dodging eye contact, I finally asked him,

"Is this where the actors come out?"
(weird look)"Yeah... but not for another hour."
"What?"
"Yeah but not for another hour."
(confused pause)"Wait there's not another act, is there?"
(even weirder look) "Yeah."
"What?"
(you're a real idiot look) "Yeah."
(the realization)"Oh."

Turn. And walk. Just turn and walk. We made it back to our seats just in time for the second act to begin, giggling uncontrollably at our own silliness. Okay, now fast forward to the REAL end of the play, repeat what happened in the fake ending, the running, the stage door, but this time add a bunch of people waiting there with us, more security, and then James McAvoy. He was less than an arm's length distance away, he looked at us, talked to us, signed our tickets, shook our hands. He was very nice, but as luck would have it, he has a wife. Shucks. He really gave a brilliant performance in the play, and honestly meeting him was very much -- no, exactly like -- meeting anybody else. Except that when you tell people you've met James McAvoy it makes them jealous.

All right, I'm off to Nice until Monday night, then Tuesday morning I head off for York until Saturday night. By the way, I added a few pictures to my Scotland update.

Hampton Court:



Elizabeth gets a kick out of making me do impromptu photo shoots at various locations. So this is one picture in a series of about 20 taken right here. Oh boy haha.

Wimbledon:
Sitting in the members seats at court 1
Below: sitting in the chairs where players give their press conferences
3 Days of Rain:
Just realize this picture was not taken with any sort of zoom. That's James.

2 comments:

Wendyburd1 said...

Aggh you met James McAvoy, that is so cool!! I am so glad you didn't MISS the second half of the play! LOL! That story is so funny, good for you getting the guts to ASK!!

Liesl said...

I forgot to mention my jealousy on you meeting James McAvoy! In your words, that's tight.